The Magner Career Center offers stipend awards up to $5,000 for the fall, spring and summer semesters.
Internship Stipend Awards are competitive cash awards to help current undergraduate and graduate students take non-paid off-campus internships (volunteer, research, student teaching and internships required for your degree qualify) that you would not have otherwise been able to afford. Internships providing small stipends such as travel or lunch, and internships for academic credit, are also eligible.
Students are encouraged to review other possible source opportunities for their internships:
These awards are made possible by very generous donations from Brooklyn College alumni (Magner, Sisti, Tow, Garil, O’Hara, Friedman, Glaser, Kandel and Weill).
How are stipends awarded?
The stipends are competitive. Last year approximately 30% of those that applied received an award. Each stipend may have specific requirements as to who is eligible. Winners are selected from each school (all majors are eligible). Review the application for the specific criteria. Students must meet the minimum to even qualify. Winners are determined by their letter of recommendation, their resume and their responses to several essays.
How much are the awards?
Financial awards range from $1,000-$5,000 and are taxable (medicare/social security is also withheld). Students are asked to provide a budget that specifies what the stipend is needed for and how much is needed.
How do students apply?
Please note that all applications are looked at after the deadline. We do not review them as they come in.
- Review the eligibility requirements carefully.
- Complete the online application form and send all required materials via email as directed in the application by the deadline (see application for specific deadlines):
- Students apply before having secured the internship. Deadline for Summer/Fall internship stipends is in March. The deadline for those interning in Spring 2016 will be in October 2015.
- Students who plan to intern abroad or are pre-law should contact Pam Brown email@example.com for information on those stipends.
What happens if I win?
Winners will receive half of their payment about a 4-6 weeks after the complete the required paperwork and write a thank you letter to your donor. Winners should review the guidelines and samples to assist them in writing a quality letter. In some cases students receive the 2nd half of their award towards end of the internship/semester at a luncheon honoring the winners and the donors.
Who are the previous winners?
- Winners are chosen from each school. They represent a variety of majors and career interests..
- Learn a bit more about the program from a recipient.
- Check out our video, featuring recipients and donors.
- You can also read some recent articles Travel Required and Cosmopolitan Credentials that featured our stipend winners.
How can I budget my stipend or other money?
Check out information and financial advice on how to handle your money so that it lasts.
Who do I contact if I have questions or need more information?
Natalia Guarin-Klein, Associate Director for Internships and Alumni Programs
1303 James Hall, Brooklyn College
Phone: (718) 951-5696 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org