Review the following material for information on how to look for an internship as well as how to be a standout intern. The more prepared students are, the better their chances of succeeding. If you have any concerns about an internship posting or you started an internship and have concerns please contact Miriam at 718 951 5696 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Accessing Internships via the Magner Career Center: All internships that are promoted to Brooklyn College students through our office are listed on Hire BC which you can access at portal.brooklyn.cuny.edu (career section).
Most of your questions and information you need will be answered via the material in steps 1-4.
- Magner Career Center's Internships 101
- Internships 101- Part 1 - What and Why
- Internships 101- Part 2 - How to Land an Internship
- Internships 101- Part 3 - Affording and Funding Your Internship.Visit our page on internal stipends for details on how to apply and deadlines and review the External Internship Stipend page for more opportunities.
- Internships 101- Part 4 - How to Be a Standout Intern and view video tips from recent interns.
- Suggested Reading:
- Magner Career Center's Internship Handout and more comprehensive internship handbook
- Become familiar with the Dept. of Labor's Guidelines on unpaid internships, Protections for INTERNS in the Workplace,
- Review the red flags list to make sure the internship is legitimate.
- Consider interning abroad: Develop cross-cultural skills and show future employers that you are the kind of person who makes opportunities for yourself rather than waiting for something to happen. Learn more at tinyurl.com/InternationalHandbook and contact Pam at email@example.com for assistance.
Contact Miriam Loyd (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you have think an internship may be a scam or you have any issues at the internship site where you may need assistance (can range from minor such as a difficult boss to more serious such as discrimination/harassment).
- Optional Additional Reading:
- Vault's Top Internship
- How to Score the Internship of Your Dreams
- Self-Study Guide to Building Relevant Work Experience: Getting the Most from Your Internship Experience
- Top 10 Sites to Find an Internship