Read this Quick Reference Guide to Resumes and Cover Letters which provides a quick overview of how to search for a job/internship, how to write a resume, how to write a cover letter and how to prepare for an interview etc . We encourage you to take time to read through it carefully as preparation is the key to success. The most successful students rely not only on these resources and the resources of the center but identify all the resources available to them and make use of them.
We encourage you to read these handouts carefully since it will give you an excellent starting point in landing your job/internship. As we often say looking for a job is a job in itself. The amount of effort you put into the process is directly related to your success
GETTING MORE HELP
- Attend the Job Search 101 Workshops and others if you have not already as well as consider attending special corporate sponsored or focused workshops. Review our workshop schedule on the BC Calendar or the portal
- Review career websites such as include: www.careers.wsj.com, www.collegejournal.com, www.monster.com , www.collegegrad.com and www.rileyguide.org.
- Our resource room contains books on resume writing, interviewing, internships and much more. It is available Mon, Thurs and Fri until 4:45pm and Tues and Wed (when classes are in session) until 7:45 pm
- Set up a mock interview with a career counselor. Call 718 951 5696 to set up an appointment.
- Students should use the Learning Center at Brooklyn College for assistance with your overall writing skills.
- Once you have built your resume or cover letter and have followed the advice provided in the Job Search 101 workshop and the above handouts bring your documents, meet with a career counselor in 1303 James Hall during drop in hours .